Recommended Reading/Links


What is Workplace Discrimination? What should you do if you see it or experience it?

It can be very difficult to identify discrimination in the workplace. Many are unaware of when and if workplace discrimination is taking place. Workplace discrimination can range from very serious to less serious levels and can include anything from inappropriate emails, negative comments, to unlawful actions by the employer and or a co-worker(s). Often individuals are confused, lack confidence, or afraid of losing their jobs if they make a complaint. Not reporting an incident can have a serious effect on an individual mentally, physically, and emotionally. That is why it’s important that you are well informed about the laws regarding workplace discrimination and how to identify it.

What is Workplace Discrimination?

Workplace discrimination is the use of physical, verbal, or written form of treatment that either degrades, shows hostility, or disliking on the basis on gender, sexual preference, race, political affiliation, color, or disability. This has the potential of disrupting an employee’s work performance, their chance at compensation or employment opportunities, or creating a hostile work environment. The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission is a federal law enforcement agency that enforces laws against workplace discrimination. This type of behavior is prohibited and prosecuted by the EEOC.

Under the laws enforced by EEOC, it is illegal to discriminate against someone (applicant or employee) because of that person’s race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age (40 or older), disability or genetic information. It is also illegal to retaliate against a person because he or she complained about discrimination, filed a charge of discrimination, or participated in an employment discrimination investigation or lawsuit.

What should you do if you feel there is Discrimination occurring in the workplace?

Keep Detailed Records

It is important to keep a detailed record of the incident and/or incidents. Keep track of the time and date (s) of the incident (s), including the individual (s) involved, the location of the incident, and other important details about the event. Keeping accurate documentation will help you during the investigation of the incident, and it will also help you when you file your claim.

File a Harassment Claim

You want to file a claim as soon as possible. After the incident, you only have 180 days to file your claim with the EEOC. You can file the claim at the nearest EEOC office, or you can file your claim by mail. Be prepared to provide the EEOC with your personal information as well as your employers. You will also have to provide all of the information that you collected in relation to your incident, in order to help aid your investigation.

After a Harassment Claim is filed

After you have submitted your claim to the EEOC, the EEOC will then begin its investigative process of the incident(s). Depending on the information and details you provided, the EEOC may prioritize your case or it may be assigned to be reviewed to gain further knowledge about the discriminatory behavior. During this investigation process, the EEOC may ask you to provide further information about the incident (s), visit your place of work, and/ or conduct interviews.

Resolving the Harassment Claim

During the investigative process, the EECO may attempt to conduct some form of mediation if both you and the employer are willing to discuss the matter. If mediation does not help resolve the matter between you and the employer, then the EEOC will continue the investigation in order to reach a resolution. If the EEOC is unable to resolve your matter, you will be informed that you have 90 days to bring a claim against your employer.

Legal Representation

If the EEOC was unable to resolve the matter and you have been a victim of discrimination then you should contact the law office of Tory D Allen to help resolve your claim. Here at our office we dedicate our time and efforts to reaching the best end result for our clients. We are devoted to professionalism and determined to protect your rights.


Starting January 2, 2014 Nevada residents who cannot meet the proof of identity requirements for a standard driver’s license or ID card may be able to obtain a Driver Authorization Card (DAC).

These cards authorize the holder to drive a motor vehicle on Nevada public streets and highways. A DAC is not valid as identification to obtain any state benefits, licenses or services or for federal purposes such as boarding aircraft or entering facilities where ID is required.

Driver Authorization Cards are valid for one year from the date of issuance. All renewals and address changes must be completed in person. You must also apply for a duplicate DAC in person at the DMV.

There are only two differences between a DAC and a standard Nevada license. A DAC will state “Not Valid for Identification” in the top portion. The blue banner will state “Driver Authorization Card” rather than “Driver License.” The appearance is otherwise identical.

To apply for a Driver Authorization Card the following documents are required:

Proof of Identity

Translations of any documents not in English

Proof of Residency Status

All the documents that are required must be originals. DMV will not accept photocopies and documents with an expiration date must be valid and unexpired. Any document not written in English must be translated prior to submitting it toDMV.

All applicants are required to take a vision test, a written and drive test. Written tests are offered in both English and Spanish, also need to pass the Department of Motor Vehicles’ driving test, but there is no guarantee for the applicants the driving test instructor will speak Spanish they must also pay an annual fee and acquire liability insurance on their vehicles. The driving test costs $25

For illegal immigrants The law (Senate Bill 303) specifically prohibits your information to be turned over to federal immigration authorities.

For more information applicants need to know about driving in Nevada and what to bring to a DMV office when they go in for a driver authorization card visit the DMV website, an application form can also be found on the website to fill out and bring to the DMV office. Most of the information is in both English and Spanish.

For further information regarding the Drivers Authorization Card or any other immigration related matter, please contact Tory D Allen at or at (775) 842-1212.

Today starts National Call-In Week for Immigration Reform. Show your support by calling your Senators and ask for their support for a fair and attainable pathway to citizenship:

If you’re interested, make a call for immigrant rights & family unity. Tuesday, March 12 to Thursday, March 14 is the National Call-In Week for Immigration Reform. Show your support by calling your Senators and ask for their…